The debate over what phrase to use around the holidays should be over – The Central Trend

0

With Easter in the rearview mirror, I finally escaped the awkward greetings that come with religious holidays. Every time I heard “Happy Easter!” on April 17, I smiled awkwardly and nodded, “Yeah, you too!” like my answer, unless the person is close enough to have a conversation with them.

I have never celebrated Easter on the date most people in my community do; as an orthodox christian, i celebrate easter a week later than the majority of people of other christian faiths. Clearly, Christianity is the most popular religion in the United States, representing approximately 65% ​​of adults according to a 2020 study conducted by the Pew Research Center. For this reason, I would never call myself a religious minority; I’m still a Christian, and almost every other religious holiday I celebrate falls on the same date as the majority of Americans.

However, I always feel a twinge in my heart when someone wants me to enjoy a party I’m not celebrating, even though I’m not offended. On the other hand, only people close to me wish me a happy Easter on the day I celebrate. This is not at all a surprise. It makes sense that people would wish everyone the most common holiday for the period. Despite this, a simple reformulation would extend to the vast majority of religions: “Happy Holidays”. This helps to ensure that religious minorities feel more represented because even though they are not the most populous in the country, they matter just as much and deserve equal recognition.

The argument against using “Happy Holidays” rather than naming a specific holiday is “What happened to Merry Christmas?”

Here’s the thing: No one gets rid of Christmas. No one is stopping anyone from wishing others a Merry Christmas. No one is against celebrating the holiday on December 25. “Happy Holidays” is a great substitute when you don’t know whether someone is celebrating Christmas or not, or when talking to a large group of people, because it includes many holidays, one of them being Christmas.

Of course, when you’re talking to a specific person who you know celebrates a certain holiday or is of a certain religion, it’s only appropriate to wish them well on the specific holiday.

Another claim used to refute the use of “Happy Holidays” in place of a specific religious holiday is that it is used to erase Christianity and the holidays that are celebrated primarily by that religion.

On the contrary, the phrase “Happy Holidays” does the exact opposite of what opponents claim it does; rather than erasing religion, it includes a lot of it.

On the contrary, the phrase “Happy Holidays” does the exact opposite of what opponents claim it does; rather than erasing religion, it includes a lot of it. Religion is an important part of society for many, and different cultures should be able to express their religion and be recognized during the holidays. It’s much easier to wish a group “Happy Holidays” rather than pointing out each religion, but it’s also much more inclusive than “Merry Christmas”.

According to a 2019 Gallup poll, 93% of Americans celebrate Christmas, whether they view the holiday as a religious event or a family gathering. Despite this fact, this does not make the remaining 7% less important than the 93%.

Although I’m not a religious minority, I’ve had my share of uncomfortable encounters with people wishing me a good time on a holiday I don’t celebrate. I can only imagine how people of other faiths feel when they are constantly smothered by such comments. “Merry Christmas” was never offensive; however, humanity is far too advanced to ignore other religions and holidays in every season.

Share.

Comments are closed.